We are working with a house builder, which operates 22 trading divisions across England, Scotland and Wales. The company has grown from a family firm, established more than 70 years ago, into a respected national brand, selling over ten thousand homes a year.
We recognise that people are the key to our success and our goal is to provide a rewarding and fulfilling career in line with our values of quality, service and trust. In addition to this we are committed to being a more inclusive employer and invite applications from a variety of backgrounds.
There is an exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s largest house builders. Our Yorkshire Division, located in Leeds, Yorkshire is looking to recruit an Engineering Manager to join the Division’s Technical team.
The Design & Technical teams are involved in all aspects of housing design and innovation. This includes responsibility for researching the best materials, at the best cost. In terms of design, there are a variety of house types on our sites, all of which come with their unique challenges to solve. Our drive for sustainability, value and ever-changing building and environmental legislation means that innovative and unique solutions are required. Most of the employees employed within these teams have either an architectural or engineering background, and this role will offer the opportunity to gain expertise in design and project management.
Principle accountabilities of the role include:
- Review technical information and reports at potential new land evaluation stage and prepare feasibility engineering designs
- Manage a team of in-house Engineers to ensure regional targets are met
- Obtain fee quotations from specialist consultants for all engineering designs and technical requirements.
- Procure Engineering Designs, Site Investigation, Demolition, Asbestos, Grouting and Flood Risk Information.
- Review external consultants engineering designs/details with a view to value engineer where possible to ensure the most cost effective solutions.
- Attend design meetings with highways/water authorities to determine local authorities requirements.
- Ensure the timely distribution of all relevant drawings and technical information to Construction, Sales and Commercial departments to ensure production targets and budgets are achieved in accordance with the overall build programme.
- Coordinate consultants for the production of engineering drawings to achieve technical approvals from the local authorities.
- Work in conjunction with our external legal teams to ensure all legal agreements including section agreements and deed of easements are completed in a timely manner
- Attend/Chair and actively participate in all pre-start meetings, progress site meetings and other meetings as required to review and assess progress and provide constructive and frequent feedback on project performance.
- Provide on-going technical support and guidance to other internal departments and colleagues to ensure that any remediation works on site are cost effective and on programme.
- Share knowledge and assist other staff members in carrying out their duties.
- As part of the Technical Department’s role in CDM prepare and issue in association with other relevant departments information in line with the Company’s Health and safety Policies for each development.
- Link between the technical and construction department on engineering matters.
Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- Experience of working as a Development Engineer within construction/housebuilding.
- Sound working knowledge of all CAD and other software civil engineering packages
- Understanding of CDM Regulations, LABC/NHBC requirements and Codes of Practice
- Knowledge of specific design and specification features with regards to road and sewer agreements and maximise value to the Company.
Qualifications and Training
- HNC/HND in a building related topic
- CSCS card or equivalent
Skills and Aptitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Man management skills to maximise the efficiency and competency of the divisions Engineering function
- Methodical, conscientious, organised and works to deliver high standards.
- Strong communication, listening and presentation skills with the ability to be able to build effective working relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to work on own as well as part of a team
- Ability to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates the ability to problem solve and delegate effectively
- IT literate and the ability to adapt to new systems within the technical environment.
- Committed to diversity and inclusion
The Role and Working Conditions
- Willing to be flexible in respect to day to day duties and hours worked.
- Office based role, with regular travel to development sites as and when required.
- Ability to travel to all development sites within Divisional area.
In return we can offer you:
- Competitive salary
- Competitive annual bonus scheme
- Company car or car allowance
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance