A fantastic opportunity has arisen with a leading Housebuilder. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s largest house builders in the role of Land Director.
The role of Land Director is responsible for identifying, negotiating and acquiring future residential sites to support growth in line with the regional plan.
The role of Land Director reports to the Group Land Director and will be supported by a Land Manager.
The successful candidate will be expected to operate in the South West.
Principle accountabilities of the Land Director role include:
- Responsible for sourcing land opportunities with future development potential in line with the acquisition strategy supported by the Land Manager.
- Effectively manage the region’s land portfolio utilising your own operating budget. You will also need to ensure best practices are followed, costs are controlled, and value is added to the land bank.
- Work closely with the local divisional management teams, Regional Chairperson and Group Land Director in relation to the implementation of search and acquisition strategies.
- Lead, manage and motivate a Land Manager to ensure that they are fully engaged to achieve best performance to meet the needs of the business.
- Conduct planning and viability appraisals and searches for sites to assess their suitability for acquisition.
- Once sites are identified as having positive planning status contact landowners and agents alike to promote Company as their preferred choice of developer/promoter.
- Successfully negotiate heads of terms with landowners and agents through to exchange of legal contracts.
- Prepare planning strategies, working with relevant consultants and advisers, that aim to obtain a Local Plan allocation or planning permission in shortest possible timeframe.
- Attend planning committee meetings and public consultation events to present on behalf of company as necessary, often outside of normal working hours.
- Provide accurate and regular reports and attend meetings with the Group Land Director, Regional Chairperson and local divisions as required.
Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- Experience of working with a high volume national housebuilder, as a Senior Land Manager or Land Director, or at a senior level within a Land Agency.
- Extensive experience of successfully identifying and negotiating land deals through to exchange of contracts.
- Knowledgeable in relation to the preparation and submission of planning applications and or appeals.
- Experience in the negotiation of S106 agreements with councils.
- Networking contacts such as landowners, land agents, solicitors, local government officers, and planning consultants.
- Strong understanding of national and local planning policy.
Qualifications and Training
- RICS or RTPI qualified.
- Full UK driving licence
Skills and Aptitude
- Ability to run high level financial viabilities for land opportunities.
- Able to work under pressure to tight and changing deadlines.
- A self-starter capable of creating and maintaining momentum in projects.
- Communication and listening skills.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Committed to diversity and inclusion
The Role and Working Conditions
- Willing to be flexible in respect to day to day duties and hours worked.
- Ability and willingness to travel on a regular basis.
- Core and flexible working options available.