senior associate director
salary: £55k – £70k basic annum + OTE, bonus
hours: Monday 8.30am-5.30pm, Fridays 8.30am-2pm
location: Mondays & Wednesdays in the Canterbury-based office to start, flexible working rest of the week
Are you a natural team leader, able to get the best out of your team and create a collaborative and thriving work environment? Do you have 7+ years of experience in recruitment, preferably in the residential real estate market (but could be within other fast-paced markets also)?
If yes, we are the UK’s leading property recruitment company and we would like to hear from you. Having just celebrated our 15th year running, we are a small but mighty team of recruiters who have worked diligently to become the go-to specialists in the residential real estate recruitment market.
We are now looking to hire a Senior Associate Director for our Land, Planning & Technical team. In this role, you will be overseeing a team of 8, working with individuals to ascertain the best set-up and strategy for the team to be working on. While you will still be expected to bill your quarterly target, your main focus will be on getting your team running smoothly and successfully.
This is a game-changing role for tdm and we are looking to make sure we hire the right person due to the importance we place on protecting our team culture.
Quarterly billings target = £50,000 Team Quarterly billings target = £250,000-£350,000
As a Senior Associate Director at tdm, you will be an integral part of our senior management team helping us to identify room for improvement and building on prior success. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, you will be responsible for the smooth running and management of the land, planning and commercial team.
The team is currently made up of 8 employees ranging from junior to associate director-level consultants. As this is a new role, we would be looking to work with the post-holder to correctly identify how best to line manage and structure the team. To that end, we will not expect you to be directly line managing all of the team but instead focus on more senior consultants who would then feed down the information to junior members. Your success will be tied to the overall success of the team.
Alongside making sure your team is run effectively, you will also be responsible for achieving your own quarterly billings target of £50,000.
You will have several areas of responsibility:
1) Managing your team
You will be responsible for the overarching organisation of your team as discussed with the senior management team. You will be expected to ensure work is properly cascaded down and that plans and processes are put in place (and respected) to ensure everyone is doing as required.
You will be coaching more senior team members to help you bring up the more junior members of your team.
You will be leading weekly calls and providing summary reports regarding activity/employee engagement/workloads to the Directors helping to ensure we have a stable and successful working environment for everyone.
2) Reviews & mentoring
You will be tasked with overseeing review meetings with each member of your team, providing updates on how they can reach/surpass their goals and billing targets. You will work with them to ensure they have a clear strategy in place and an understanding of what they need to do to help them progress.
You will act as a mentor to them, passing back feedback to the Operations team whenever you believe more external/internal training would benefit an employee.
You will also act as a mentor to any senior members or team leaders, helping them with progressing their own management styles.
3) Personal work & billings
You will manage your assignments, and be responsible for all aspects of the recruitment cycle. While you will not be tasked with solely winning new work, you will be expected to work closely with the Directors on ensuring professional client management happens at all times.
4) Business development & key account management
It will also be your responsibility to work closely with your senior team members to help them win work and keep good relationships with our clients.
How you work to help the team win new work and handle key accounts will be agreed upon at the beginning of each financial quarter at a senior team meeting. And you will be expected to have your own ideas and strategies on how to do this.
Similarly, with new clients, you will often be asked to help with the negotiation of fees and terms for the team.
5) Senior team management
As a key member of the senior management team, you will be expected to attend regular senior team events in which general business matters will be discussed. Your voice will have an impact on how we move forward as a company, exploring best practices, structures and cultural benefits we can put in place for the benefit of everyone. You will be trusted with confidential information and will be trusted to set expectations of how senior management looks to the rest of the team.
In this role, you will also need to be actively engaging with content and marketing tasks helping to develop and expand the tdm brand. Examples of this in action include working with the Marketing team to come up with a brochure to send to your clients or creating a video series to market your services. You will need to demonstrate to the junior members of your team how effective marketing can help secure work and expand tdm’s reach.
- Implement processes within your team
- Manage the day-to-day running of the land, planning & commercial team successfully
- Line manage a medium-sized team (8 people currently)
- Ensure work brought in is correctly managed and responsibilities communicated
- Manage the complete recruitment cycle on both the candidate and client sides
- Be able to undertake business development and work-winning exercises
- Be responsible for the care of current clients and building long-standing rapport
- Manage and update the company database (CRM) in a timely and effective fashion
- Set and develop KPIs and revenue targets for each team member you manage
- Provide regular reports on your teams activities/billings as instructed by the Managing Director
- Oversee/lead team meetings
- Oversee monthly 1-2-1s with your team members
- Be responsible for the identification of internal recruitment needs for your team
- Look for new ways to better your team’s working/environment & work with the senior team to effectively implement these changes
- Be part of the hiring process for new additions to your team
- Complete company or individual training when requested
- Champion marketing/content produced by the marketing team
- Be part of the senior team – attending meetings and working on meeting company goals
- 7+ years of recruitment experience (preferably in the housebuilding/property market)
- minimum of 3 years running teams of size
- experience in leading team meetings/ running them day to day and critically improving the performance of the collective
- clear experience in mentoring and developing talent from junior level i.e. ability to set and manage career development
- experience managing a difficult or underperforming consultant
- experience setting and managing quarterly/ half year targets and experience in breaking these down into weekly actions
- ability to demonstrate activity around managing and reviewing data/ activity analytics
- able to set and deliver and divisional strategy i.e. we are here and want to get there and then actively implement the strategy
- have experience undertaking monthly/ quarterly performance reviews against target and data
- proven track record of billing success
- motivated – success-driven
- data-driven & process-driven
- a strategic thinker who can see the big picture
- able to identify individual’s motivators
- patient but directive– able to calm a team but also steer everyone
- match tdm values
- team player (should want everyone to succeed)
- natural communicator & demonstrative leadership abilities
- likes problem-solving/challenges
- good temperament
- Hybrid working environment between Canterbury office and remote work
- Flexible working hours
- 25 basic annual leave days, plus the chance to gain an extra day’s annual leave for each year of service up to 28 days
- An additional 3 days extra leave in December as well as a day off for your birthday
- 2pm close every Friday
- Mobile phone monthly usage reimbursements
- Fun monthly, team catch-ups
- Career coaching
We’re always adding more benefits depending on the feedback of our team!