A fantastic opportunity has arisen with a leading Housebuilder
There is an exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s largest house builders. Thier Group Strategic Land Team is expanding and we are looking to recruit for a new role of Strategic Land Director.
The role of Strategic Land Director is responsible for identifying, negotiating and acquiring future strategic residential sites to support growth in line with the strategic plan.
The role of Strategic Land Director reports to the Group Strategic Land Director and will be supported by a Strategic Land Manager.
The successful candidate will be expected to operate in the key geographical focus of Yorkshire, Manchester and North West England.
Principle accountabilities of the Strategic Land Director role include:
- Responsible for sourcing strategic land opportunities with future development potential in line with the acquisition strategy supported by the Strategic Land Manager.
- Effectively manage the region’s strategic land portfolio utilising your own operating budget. You will also need to ensure best practices are followed, costs are controlled, and value is added to the land bank.
- Work closely with the local divisional management teams, Regional Chairperson and Group Strategic Land Director in relation to the implementation of search and acquisition strategies.
- Lead, manage and motivate a Strategic Land Manager to ensure that they are fully engaged to achieve best performance to meet the needs of the business.
- Conduct planning and viability appraisals and searches for sites to assess their suitability for acquisition.
- Once sites are identified as having positive planning status contact landowners and agents alike to promote Company as their preferred choice of developer/promoter.
- Successfully negotiate heads of terms with landowners and agents through to exchange of legal contracts.
- Prepare planning strategies, working with relevant consultants and advisers, that aim to obtain a Local Plan allocation or planning permission in shortest possible timeframe.
- Be involved in the project management of the planning promotion process of each site in line with the agreed planning strategy, liaising closely with landowners and their agents. Also ensuring that each project runs on time and within budget with an aim to achieve the set objectives.
- Attend planning committee meetings and public consultation events to present on behalf of company as necessary, often outside of normal working hours.
- Provide accurate and regular reports and attend meetings with the Group Strategic Land Director, Regional Chairperson and local divisions as required.
Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- Experience of working with a high volume national housebuilder, as a Senior Strategic Land Manager or Strategic Land Director, or at a senior level within a Land Agency.
- Extensive experience of successfully identifying and negotiating land deals through to exchange of contracts.
- Experience of promoting sites through the Local Plan process.
- Knowledgeable in relation to the preparation and submission of planning applications and or appeals.
- Experience in the negotiation of S106 agreements with councils.
- Networking contacts such as landowners, land agents, solicitors, local government officers, and planning consultants.
- Strong understanding of national and local planning policy.
Qualifications and Training
- RICS or RTPI qualified.
- Full UK driving licence
Skills and Aptitude
- An understanding and experience of the legal process for option agreements, promotion agreements, joint ventures and freehold purchases would be preferable although training will also be given.
- Ability to run high level financial viabilities for land opportunities.
- Able to work under pressure to tight and changing deadlines.
- A self-starter capable of creating and maintaining momentum in projects.
- Communication and listening skills.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Committed to diversity and inclusion
The Role and Working Conditions
- Willing to be flexible in respect to day to day duties and hours worked.
- Ability and willingness to travel on a regular basis.
- Core and flexible working options available.
In return we can offer you:
- Competitive salary
- Company car / car allowance
- Competitive annual bonus
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance