What you’ll be doing?
This team is responsible for identifying and sourcing the best locations for new developments. It’s fast moving and, in today’s climate, extremely competitive and commercial in its focus.
While we need to be commercial and competitive in bidding for sought after land, we also need to be imaginative in identifying other possibilities – such as land that currently doesn’t have planning permission. It’s a complex area of our work, and one that’s under intense commercial scrutiny and pressure. It’s also the life of our business, which makes this team’s work even more vital and far-reaching. Entrepreneurial and imaginative in your thinking, you’ll need to be a good assessor of risks, and an even better relationship builder.
Reporting to the Development Director, to manage all aspects of strategic land function to ensure new opportunities are secured and existing sites are successfully promoted to facilitate the delivery of strategic land in line with Divisional targets.
You will be expected to:
- Identify new development opportunities through a range of methods such as examination of statutory development plans, housing land audits, potential change of use, liaising with agents and utilising an extensive contact base
- Negotiate terms and securing sites, including initial due diligence, formulating offers, managing the legal process and obtaining the necessary internal approvals in a timely and robust manner
- Oversee the promotion of the strategic land bank, appointing and managing external consultants (where required), and liaising with other internal functions including technical and sales
- Monitor the strategic land portfolio having regard to national and local planning policy to identify where opportunities/risks exist
- Assist in preparing planning applications/appeals
- Ensure landowners and their agents are kept fully updated on a regular basis
- Co-ordinate the viability process and agreeing land values with owners/agents
- Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures
- Undertake community engagements as necessary
What you’ll need?
To be successful in the role, we are looking for:
- An excellent understanding of the planning system and planning policy at both local and national levels
- Familiarity with all legal and contractual aspects of the land process
- A proven track record in successfully promoting land through the planning system
- Individual who is ideally, either qualified to degree standard in a relevant subject such as Planning or Surveying or commensurate experience.
- Sound geographical knowledge of the area
- Ability to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of projects
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Able to communicate with a wide range of people, engender rapport and trust, and develop and maintain key contacts
- Exceptional negotiating and influencing skills; a confident and professional networker
- An innovative thinker, with the drive to seek out and pursue new development opportunities
- An extensive contact base
Our Company and Benefits
We’ve been nationally recognised as a 5 star housebuilder twelve years in a row for supplying high-quality homes for all generations. That’s more than any other major housebuilder. It’s because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals and ex-Armed Forces personnel to come and help us stay one step ahead, and build the homes that Britain needs.
We are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want. We are building a culture where anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, disability, background or any other characteristic, can progress and be proud to work for us.
As part of working for Barratt Developments PLC and specifically for this role we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Company Car or Car Allowance
- Single Cover Private Medical Insurance
- Annual Health Assessment
- 25 days holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years continuous service up to 28 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies